The province of Ontario on July 20, 2017 announced that applications for the Employer Job Offer Stream for Foreign Workers and International students are now being accepted.
The OINP will be monitoring the intake based on limits of 6000 Ontario’s federal nomination allocation in 2017.
Minimum Requirements to apply for International Student Category with Job offer Stream
International students with an approved job offer from a Canadian employer are eligible to apply under this stream if they:
• Have graduated from, or have met the requirements of a full-time degree or diploma program, at a recognized Canadian college or university;
o The program of study must have been at least two years in length, OR a one-year post-graduate certificate program, which requires a previous degree or diploma.
o The previous degree or diploma may have been obtained outside Canada.
• Have completed at least half of their studies in Canada;
• Have acquired an approved permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B); and o The job offer must meet the entry-level wage levels in Ontario for that occupation.
o Note: the job need not be in the same field as the degree or diploma.
• Apply within two years of the date on which they received their Canadian degree or diploma.
Minimum Requirements to apply for Foreign Worker with Job offer Stream
Requirements for Applicants
In order to be eligible as a foreign worker under the OINP General Category, applicants must:
• Have at least two years (24 months) of paid and verifiable work experience, either in Canada or abroad, within the previous five years in their intended occupation
• Have the appropriate registration in Ontario, if applying for a position in a regulated occupation in the province;
• Have a permanent, full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC levels 0, A, or B) from the employer that is also submitting an application;and
• Be residing abroad OR residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work permit, study permit or visitor record
Requirements for Employers
Minimum Requirements for the employers in Ontario:
o Have been in active business for at least three years;
o Have business premises in Ontario where the prospective nominee will work; o Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws, including, but not limited to, employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations legislation; and
o For employers located inside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
o Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $1,000,000, and
o Have at least five permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
o For employers located outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):
o Have a minimum gross revenue for the most recent fiscal year of $500,000, and
o Have at least three permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents at the location where the candidate is to work.
The OINP states that employers may have to demonstrate sufficient proof of recruitment efforts if the applicant is living abroad, is visiting Canada, or is working in a province or territory other than Ontario.
Requirements for Positions:
• The position must meet the description of a “skilled occupation” defined by the government as NOC level 0, A, or B;
• The job offered must be for a permanent, full-time position (minimum 1,560 hours of paid employment in a 12-month period); the offer must meet prevailing wage rates for that occupation and region in Ontario;
• The offer must not adversely affect employment or training opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario; and
• The position itself must be necessary for the company’s operations.