The government of Quebec published this year’s list of occupations for the simplified processing of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications on February 24, 2020.
Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration provides an annually updated list of occupations for which employers do not need to advertise an open position before hiring a foreign worker.
Although many of the occupations that were on last year’s list are on the new list, 116 new occupations have been added and nine have been removed. Some of the newly added occupations include human resources and investment managers, architects, dentists and bakers, among others.
The update to the list of facilitated occupations made public on February 24 came into effect immediately. A transitional period of 30 days is granted to the employer, or their representative, to allow for the examination of an application submitted according to the previous year’s list.
The following are no longer on the list of occupations for the facilitated LMIA process in Quebec:
• 0513 Recreation, sports and fitness program and service directors
• 1242 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations
• 1254 Statistical officers and related research support occupations
• 3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.
• 3236 Massage therapists
• 7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
• 7232 Tool and die makers
• 9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
• 9224 Supervisors, furniture and fixtures manufacturing