The Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program are attractive immigration programs for skilled workers and professionals who have work experience in areas that are in high demand in Canada.
As of January 2015, candidates must apply through the online Express Entry system.
Two-step application process:
- Complete your online Express Entry profile.
- Be accepted into the Express Entry Pool.
- Receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence.
- Apply for permanent residence.
Federal Skilled Worker Program
To qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program you must:
- have at least one year of full-time, paid work experience with the last 10 years at skill type 0, A, or B of the National Occupational Classification,
- meet minimum language requirements (you must show that you meet the requirements by including test results when you complete your Express Entry profile), and
- have a Canadian secondary or post-secondary degree or an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to show your foreign education is equal to Canadian education standards.
To qualify you must:
your English or French language skills,
your work experience,
your age, and
how well you are likely to adapt and settle in Canada
Federal Skilled Trades Program
To qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program you must:
- meet minimum language requirements,
- have at least two years of full-time work experience in one of the eligible skilled trades, and
- have a valid offer of arranged employment from a Canadian employer or a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
Eligible Skilled Trades
Industrial, electrical and construction trades
Maintenance and equipment operation trades
Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Chefs and cooks
Butchers and bakers