Ontario tech draws will provide a pathway to permanent residence for tech workers in 6 occupations
The Government of Ontario has revealed its plans for nominating Express Entry candidates with work experience in the technology sector for Canadian permanent residence.
Ontario had previously announced that it would create a dedicated stream for tech workers. Instead, it will hold targeted draws for Express Entry candidates with work experience in six tech-related occupations .
Ontario is the most popular destination for new permanent residents of Canada, including those admitted through the Express Entry system. In 2018, 65% of new immigrants admitted through Express Entry had Ontario as their destination province.
To be considered for an invitation through an OINP tech draw, candidates must first create an Express Entry profile
• Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173)
• Computer programmers and interactive media developers (NOC 2174)
• Computer engineers (NOC 2147)
• Web designers and developers (NOC 2175)
• Database analysts and data administrators (NOC 2172)
• Computer and information systems managers (NOC 0213)
The OINP said the six occupations reflect current needs in Ontario and were selected based on consultations with employers and other stakeholders across the province.